Monday 8 August 2011

1 August, 2011

I’ve been trying to go for a push bike ride every couple of days at least and have explored every road in Woorim!!   The village is surrounded by bush and is very quiet.  On my travels up and down the ‘No Through Road’ streets I found this amazing church …




     
Sorry some of the photo's are lined up very well but I haven't worked out how to straighten them on the Blog Site ...

I felt as though I was back on the Greece Islands looking at one of the many churches there.  It just seemed so strange to find a little bit of Greece down a No Exit Street in Woorim - literally the end of the road on Bribie!  I’m still shaking my head trying to find a place for this image to settle!!   There was no signage to tell me anything about the place so I googled it and found out that it’s an outreach for the Brisbane Greek Orthodox Church and is in the second stage (the first stage building the church)   The second stage is building a caretakers residents, set up tent sites and amenities … it's the St Andrew's Theological College Bribie Island Campus and the Tom Lemnos Youth Centre.  This project aims to build a multi purpose youth and community retreat centre and educational facility to encourage the spiritual, social, cultural, educational and sporting development of our youth in an Orthodox Christian framework.   Stage One, which includes the Church dedicated to Panagia (this is a local Bribie Island aboriginal tribe) and amenities block consisting of toilets, storage area and kitchen is complete.’  The Church was opened in 2003.
I found it fascinating …

No comments:

Post a Comment