Monday 8 August 2011

21 July, 2011

I’m really into boats – I love wandering round Marina’s and wharves just looking at boats (no comments on what could be the cause of this or some Freudian theory thank you!!!)  The last 2 times I’ve been over to Australia my mate Russ has taken me for a Tiki tour round the coastline and beaches of the Redcliffe Peninsula (North Brisbane) then over the bridge to Brighton, Sandgate and Shorncliffe.    I just love the feel of the creek/estuary round from Shorncliffe and all the prawn boats that are moored along there.   That’s the background …

Today I talked Gordon into doing a trip over to Redcliffe Peninsula and then round to Shorncliffe via the Moreton Bay Scenic Route which takes you round all the bays.  Shorncliffe is where the boats come in.  Gordon was keen for a look round the boats so we stopped – heaven!!  I could take as many photo’s as I wanted and just enjoy the moment!!   I googled the area when I got home to find out it’s called Cabbage Tree Creek, it’s tidal and boats of up to 5m draft (ie the depth from the water level to the bottom) can be moored there.   Gordon got talking to a guy fishing (in a kayak - the water was a filthy brown colour as most Australian waterways are) who told him the first few boats (in the plumb positions) were owned by fishermen in Cairns as a tax dodge and hadn’t been used for about 6 years!  Further along there were working boats with fresh prawn and seafood sales out of the boats.   It was GREAT!!!

These are 2 of the boats the Cairns fishermen own ...   What a waste!!





These were all working boats - there were people on them pottering around!!

                                                 Don’t they have so much character?!!

We’re getting to know the Bruce H’way really well and managed to get to Shorncliffe without the GPS – had to call on the wee thing to get us to a mate’s to pick up the DVD though!  The DVD was ‘The Long Way Down’ with Charlie Boorman and Ewen McGregor – the follow-on from ‘The Long Way Round’.  We’ve since watched it and it was great … to be recommended!!

No comments:

Post a Comment