Saturday 13 August 2011

9 August, 2011

We took off for another Tiki tour today - one of our 'close to home' seeing what's down this road tour.  One of the turn-off’s went down to the inlet from Pumicestone Pasage called Ningi Creek.  We go through Ningi every time we go out onto the Bruce Highway but we hadn’t been down this side road before.  It was lovely!!   Gordon dropped me off to wander along the shoreline and take some photo’s while he went down the road a bit further to wait for me.   As I was clicking away a chap walking his dog wandered along and I started yakking away to him (as you do!!)   He was a bit of a character – I’m thinking about 65 – 70 years old, white hair in a pony tail and his dog was blind!!   He was telling me a few things about Ningi – Ningi in aboriginal means oyster and if you say Ningi Ningi it means “plenty oysters” (if you say something twice it means 'plenty').   Ningi is very important in aboriginal historyas a place of food because of the oysters.   The shoreline is lined with mangroves.  The area is tidal so it gets muddy for quite a bit of the day - great mangrove country.   There’s a lot of private jetty’s.  I thought it was amazing that we were standing in the peace and quiet when only 100 metres or so over there was the noisy highway!





This is 'Graham' who's lived in Ningi for 40 years and is really keen on nurturing and retaining the aboriginal history in this area ...   He was a character!!

There were lots of boats in the mangroves that obviously hadn't been used in a while!!

From there we went back onto the  main road and into another side road just before the Bridge over to Bribie where we found a little bay with an old guy sitting on his camp chair fishing.  Again it was peaceful and quiet with a great view of the Bridge.   It was interesting to see the Bribie Bridge from a different angle …
Also on the same turn-off we got a different angle of the Spinaker Sound Marina where my favourite Prawn Boats are moored.  I’ve watched these prawn boats come and go past our beach and love the sound and look of them.  They remind me of Forest Gump’s Prawn Boat!!


I’m also fascinated with Pelicans and have only seen 3 so far.  The last couple of times I’ve been here I’ve seen dozens over at Redcliffe and enjoyed watching them, so have missed not seeing lots of them.   This one solitary pelican at Spinaker Marina was number 3 …


It was great to find something interesting and a bit different just a few kilometres from home ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment