Thursday 4 August 2011

14 July, 2011 (again!!)

I'm not sure what I did but I've tried to get this blurb onto the blog but somehow I managed to botch it up!!   I'm having another go now, so fingers crossed ...

Three things to report – I’ve bought a bike (the peddling variety!);  we’ve found the Morayfield Shopping Centre (which is enormous!);  and went a bike (motorbike) trip up to Maroochydore with lunch at the Ettamogah Pub on the way home …

Because Bribie is so flat I had the brilliant idea I’d buy a bike - both for getting round and seeing the Island (which is 34km long and 8km wide but there’s probably only about 1/3 of the Island populated with the rest in National Parks) and also in the hope of getting a bit fitter.   I scoured through the local papers and found just what I was wanting for $40 (including a helmet which I thought was an exellent bargain!)  The vendor was duly contacted and the main criteria (after the price) was fulfilled in that the said Vendor lived within biking distance from the Apartment.   I hitched a ride with Gordon on the motorbike to have a look and it was just the job!!    I handed over my $40 and am now the proud owner of a Billabong (yes Billabong!) bike!!   It just so happened there was also a men’s bike for sale at the same place which caught Gordon’s eye.  You guessed it – he bought it too!!   He had to pay a premium for his though - $60 but that included a carrier, helmet and delivery by the old guy (Brian) that was the said Vendor!   I just couldn’t wear the helmet that came with the bike so pinched Gordon’s to get me home, hopped on and biked the 5 ½ kms home.  I was flying!!   Bum a bit painful the next day but it was worth it!!  Our garage is now full of bikes – of the push and motor variety!   I finished up spending another $10 for a flash purple and pink helmet and am very happy with my $50 purchase.
Our garage is now full of bikes - both of the push and motor variety!!   Mine's the green one ...
This is the helmet that came with the bike - not quite me I thought!!  Hence the purchase of the purple and pink job!!

Finding the Morayfield Shopping Mall is self explanatory – bliss!!  It took me about 3 hours just to wander round all the shops (of course there was the odd dash into a couple of shops to see what I could buy (for Ella of course!!)  What fun!!  Just a quick update on the Ella purchases – I’ve managed to fill one carry bag and have another lined up ready to go!!

Today we went up to Maroochydore to get Gordon’s motorbike serviced.  More shopping at the huge Mall there (yawn you might say)!!   I really enjoyed lunch at the Ettamogah Pub – both the food and finally getting to see the odd shaped Pub.  I’ve Googled the Pub and this is what is says … “The original creator of the Ettamogah Pub was Ken Maynard who started drawing the Ettamogah Pub in 1959.  It was made famous through his regular cartoons in The Australiasian Post … The Pub was built in 1989 and the word ‘ettamogah’ is Aboriginal for ‘place of good drink’ … it stands 18m in height.  It was opened on 24 November, 1989 with most of the furniture inside the pub built from trees cleared from the actual site.   There’s a 1930 Chevy truck on top of the bright red roof … in the cartoon the theory is the truck was washed up there in the floods of 1946 and none of the regulars could be bothered to get it down.  There are also pictures of the cartoons hanging around the walls of the Pub along with other eclectic displays of everything Australian.”   It was great!!
                                                 The odd shape of the Ettamogah Pub ...
So, life is trundling along at a very pleasant rate and it’s all good!   We’re planning on doing ‘something’ every couple of days which means I’m hoping there’ll be a few more episodes to enter on the Blog …

No comments:

Post a Comment