Saturday 20 August 2011

18 August, 2011

Each time we’ve headed north we’ve gone past the Wild Horse Look Out a few kilometres up the Bruce Motorway and I’d wondered what it was about.  Today we decided to head out and have a look at this lookout.

The weather wasn’t too flash but it didn’t matter – until we got there and it started to rain!!   I had naively thought there’d be a lovely road up to the top of the hill and we’d just rock up to the top, hop off the bike and ‘WoW’ look at that view!!   No, No, No!!   We got to the Carpark over a really rough road which is unusual for a start ‘cause almost everywhere we’ve been the parking, parks, roads and pathways are excellent.   Worse was to come …   We had to WALK up the hill from the carpark!!   The sign said it was only 700m but, honestly, I reckon it was just about vertical for the whole 700m (an exaggeration of course but it was bloody steep!!)  I can tell you I had a few stops on the way up and by the time I got to the top I was puffing – gave the old pace maker a run for it’s money I can tell you!!! 
How about this for steep?!!

When we finally got to the lookout (123m above sea level and I reckon we started at Om!!) the weather had really come in with low cloud and rain and the view slowly disappearing!!  It’s the worst day we’ve had since we’ve been here – Murphy’s Law!!   I’d hoped to be able to see the Passage between the mainland and Bribie Island and a good clear view of the Glasshouse Mountains but it was just grey sludge really.

The Lookout is there as a Forest Lookout, Telecom Tower and Public Viewing Tower.  You get a 360 degree view from the Tower.

Looking towards the Glasshouse Mountains to the west ...

Looking toward Caloundra in the north ...

It was a much easier walk down!!  From there we called into the Caboolture Aviation Museum and spent a couple of hours there.  Gordon is a flier (of planes!) and was really interested in a video they ran about flying the Mustang they have in the Museum.   There was an amazing amount of exhibits.   There has obviously been a lot of time put in by a lot of people over lots of years.   There was a MIG you could sit in, 3 other planes that were still operational plus the Mustang that was in the workshop.

This poster took my eye …

Every time we go out and back to the Island we pass a huge sign advertising a new take-away outfit called Beefy’s.  What do ya reckon they sell?   Pie’s!!  As it’s getting nearer and nearer to the time for going home we decided we had to try at least one ‘Beefy’s’ – well I talked Gordon into it really but he didn’t put up too much of a fight I have to say!!   There were about 15 different pies to choose from and it was set up like McDonalds or KFC.   Overall it was still just a pie but it wasn’t bad and now I’ve been there and done that!! 
This is the sign we’ve driven past too many times to count …   Now I know what it’s about!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment